Category — Personal Development
Music has been always known for relaxing and rejuvenating the mind. Tapping deeply and provoking our innate ability to self-calm, focus and even for a moment let everything that troubles us drift away.
But what about those that practice playing music? How are they affected by this? To what extent does this benefit them, and is the effect any different from those who like only to listen?
To answer this question, we don’t necessarily need to know much about medicine, and latest studies. Only an objective glimpse over things can give us the picture.
I’ve also experienced many of the benefits by playing the violin for something over twelve years.
Let’s start by ancient times, when only handful of individuals were been able to (or as some like to say, were been gifted to) play. It was believed then that all those people were not only artistically ahead of others, but also intellectually quite more developed. And this was not the case. Playing the instruments is what gave them more in artistic expression, and intellectual growth in general, not vice versa.
And recognizing this fact over time made people more and more interested in playing some instrument, no matter whether we are talking this as a hobby, or even something more.
So how does playing an instrument add to our quality of lifestyle in general, and are we talking about benefit on long or short terms?
- One of the most important things playing an instrument does, is affecting the problem solving skills. Keeping the tempo while playing the music is known to build consistency in our level of concentration- something that is very hard to achieve today. And because the music is something that can be witnessed if played wrong, those who play tend not to step over problems that occur in the performance, but rather give them a lot of undivided attention. This in turn forms a problem solving pattern that expands even outside of the practicing time.
- Practicing an instrument, even as a hobby gives a lot of focus. If compared to something, we can say that it’s very similar to meditating. Dwelling deeply into the abstract field of music gives the mind inner concentration and focus that surpasses that when concentrating on concrete things. That in turn makes us more focused when we are dealing with everyday situations, and we tilt towards that meditative state of mind more than before.
- For professional musicians practicing gives structure and forms a routine, habit for staying concentrated and engaged into something. And what this does is giving them the ability to signal their brain order for it to become fully engaged into what is about to take place. It acts as a trigger that evokes immense brain activity. That trigger may later be memorized as something independent of the activity and used to provoke the same results even outside the practicing session. But don’t think that this goes for professional musicians only. You don’t need to be waking up early in order to practice many hours to gain similar benefits. Even adopting playing some instrument as a hobby can give you some of that structure, routine, awakes a trigger that will later switch you from not, to fully concentrated within seconds. Trust me, I know this. I played the violin for more than twelve years. Now with practicing as my hobby, I tell you that you can get similar benefits as to playing professionally.
- Another thing that practicing an instrument gives you is being more confident in yourself. Maybe sounding strange to some, this is actually very true. The egocentric character of some musicians is maybe enough to let us understand this. And it’s the same with people that practice as a hobby. They tend to take much pride in their playing, no matter what level they are at. This self-confidence expands, and is not only connected to playing any more. We tend to get more confident in other aspects of life, thus making a long term change in our way of thinking and perceiving things.
- Practicing an instrument differs from only listening the music in many aspects, but here is an interesting one: While we get focus and relaxation from listening, here things are quite changed. The focus and even the relaxation here are not that obvious, but however deeper. It may not come directly from music per say, but rather from those activities that we take to get to music. And when there, the feeling of relaxation and pleasure is ten times higher.
- And for the end of this list I will add controlling physical reflexes. Yes; some positions of playing some instruments are not that natural; in fact not natural at all. But forcing your body to resist physical reflexes and stay in that position while fully concentrated is something even more powerful than meditation. This will improve your concentration a great deal. Giving your attention to the playing may be as narrow as controlling one finger at a time. Ever tried that somewhere else? I don’t think so.
I hope these reasons presented were enough to convince you to take some instrument that you love and start practicing your way toward many benefits, and many hours of enjoyment. Feel free to point out some other benefits that you think are also true, and some that prove that playing an instrument can immensely affect one’s well-being.
About the author: Slavko Desik is a writer and editor at LifestyleUpdated where he tries to build a community of like-minded people that share the same passion when it comes to living full time. Find Slavko on Google+or Facebook.
June 14, 2012 2 Comments
I didn’t judge you by your cool haircut or the slick clothes you are wearing.
I even didn’t know that you almost look like a Hollywood celebrity.
In fact it didn’t matter much to me.
What mattered to me is the glimpse of your heart which beats for humanity.
I am touched by the simple gestures you show to others to make them feel good.
It makes my eyes wet to witness the everyday sacrifices you make so that your family can live a good life.
I am moved by the way you hide your tears and lend a helping hand to others even when you are almost broken inside.
I am thrilled to see the way you bounce back , fighting the odds of life one by one.
I am speechless by the integrity you show towards your responsibilities.
I admire your honest intentions to help others succeed without expecting anything in return.
I respect you for the respect and care you show to elders and make them feel happy in the times when they really need your support.
I am thankful to you for forgiving others even though when you know they are wrong.
I am saying all these because, you are not like the on-screen heroes who play imaginary characters to reel us and continuously feed our minds with false and larger than life meaning of a real ‘hero’
The more you chase and idolize the reel heroes, you will start realizing that you can never outsmart them. Because they are not real. They are just characters who do real practice to create a virtual experience for audience.
However, you are real. You live the life of everyday challenges. You don’t practice life, you live it.
This article is just my little way of expressing my my gratitude towards your actions that reflect true humanity.
You are my real hero , who celebrates life everyday, every moment.
June 1, 2012 6 Comments
If you are following blogs related to personal development or self improvement ,then there are remote chances that you would have missed to witness Steve Pavlina’s contribution to personal development space.
His blog stevepavlina.com is a dedicated destination for personal development articles.
I am one of his followers and hugely inspired by his writing and podcasts.
That’s why I decided to do a review post of his popular book Personal development for smart people.
Book, as expected is rich-content driven and though I can see that some of the part of the books actually already conveyed in his own blog (considering the blog has thousands of articles on personal development) . But that’s okey as book carries additional information on those elements of personal transformation which are really helpful.
Steve shares his own story how he transformed himself over the years.
Steve devides the book into two main sections, namely..
- Fundamental principles
- practical application
In the first part- i.e fundmental principles, he writes about
Truth, Love, Power, Oneness,Authority, Courage and Intellgience
In the second half, he emphasizes on practical application covering elements such as
Habits, Career, money, Health, Relationships and Spirtiuality
Personal development for smart people, is a book that can have a lasting impact on your life if you are looking for personal transformation, mainly because of the way Steve addresses the core elements of transformations at such a granular levels.
His insightful analysis about core principles create awareness within you and his practical advises instill actions insides you.
You will be more clear about your real purpose of life and about the set of actions to bring upon a personal change and long lasting happiness.
Instead of revealing some more awesome features of the book, I leave it for you to go and checkout this outstanding piece of work by Steve Pavlina. You can also get it in Kindle format, if you are a digital reader like me :-)
About Steve Pavlina and his blog: Steve Pavlina is one of the widely recognized personal development speaker and blogger. His website stevepavlina.com is hugley popular with thousands of articles published online. You can also listen to his podcasts
May 14, 2012 2 Comments
We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them- Albert Einstein
Everyone faces problems. Sometimes simple and sometimes more complicated. Solving a problem is sometimes easy, sometimes difficult and many a times, seems impossible.
If you often find yourself in the situations where in, you are not able to resolve a problem effectively, then you need to revisit your approach towards problem solving.
This article will be more relevant to you and anyone who want to develop or enhance their problem solving skills. Note that problem solving not only require decision making ability and action taking, but it needs further efforts in other areas as well such as analyzing patterns and documenting the solution to avoid re-occurrence.
In this article, I am going through life cycle of a ‘complex’ problem and we will see a step by step guide to solve it satisfactorily.
I have based this article not only upon my personal learning per se, but also collated information from learning from my friends, colleagues , corporate life, software engineering and of course by gathering information from various people who are good at problem solving.
So let’s begin with the problem itself.
So, you have a problem.
A problem which could be troubling you since quite sometime now, or a problem which has suddenly appeared in your life . It could be related to your work, family , health or related to any other sphere of your life.
What’s important here is the problem is for you. It’s now you who is responsible to address and resolve it.
What would be your approach? Wouldn’t it be nice if you were made aware of a checklist or a flowchart so that you can deal with the problem much effectively and bring upon more pleasant results.
Here we go.
Step 1: Accept that you have a problem
This is really important. Lots of people don’t accept that they have a problem. Note that knowing that they have a problem and accepting that , both are different things.Knowing about a problem will make you aware, where as accepting that you have a problem initiates an action towards it.
When you don’t accept a problem, there won’t be action from your side. When problem is not acted upon in timely manner, it often grows and multiplies.
By denying that you don’t have that very problem, you are fooling anyone but yourself and allowing the problem to grow.
Step 2: Are there anyone else having the same problem and can they help you?
This is a step most of us underestimate. There are chances that some of your friends or colleagues or anyone for that matter could have experienced the similar problem that you are experiencing now.
Just ask them and most of the time, they might have already solved the problem and pass on the solution to you.
This might sound as common sense to ask someone’s help, but it works and saves your time and energy.
People don’t utilize this simple method.Rather , they push themselves hard to solve the problem themselves.
Step 3: Start with basics and fundamentals
People often resort to random guesswork when they face a problem. Upon not getting quick solution, they enter the panic zone too early and panic curtails their ability to explore other solutions and take the right action.
Instead, always start with basic investigations. Check that fundamentals are still right. Are there any clues that fundamentals are disturbed? It could be an issue with some vital parameters.
Let’s take analogy of doctor and his process of diagnosing a complex disease. A good doctor would always start with basic tests and go up further. Many a times, problems are found in basic tests itself. A timely treatment cures the disease.
Step 4: If basics are fine, then look for the trigger that caused the problem
Once you are certain that basic investigations didn’t reveal anything obvious, then you may look for triggers or clues that would have created the problem.
To find out the triggers, you need analyze the patterns with questions such as,
- Did I do anything different last week, last month or last year?
- Did I ignored a minor clue thinking that it might not be a big issue?
- Did anyone else did something different to a system over the period of few days or months.
- Is there any trail?
When you start comparing the standard behavior with changed behavior at granular levels, you will surely find a trigger or clue.
That’s nothing but the root cause of your whole problem.
Identifying the root cause is important than treating the problem itself. Because people often treat symptoms instead treating the root cause.
Now, since you have identified the root cause, it’s time to think about an appropriate solution.
Step 4: Look the problem from a various angles and come-up with an optimum solution
Coming up with effective solution doesn’t just requires an immediate action,but analyzing the impact of the solution.
- What happens after 1 week of your solution implemented, one year and so on.
- Is this the permanent solution?
- Will this solution affect other areas of your life adversely in any way?
Think about all these and once the solution seems appropriate, proceed to action.
Step 5: Take action
Take concrete action immediately. Don’t delay further. We already know that problem often multiplies itself if unattended.It’s only your timely action, that eliminates problem from the root and your goal should be to avoid the re-occurrence of the same problem.
Step 6: Document your problem solving process
Why you need to document ?
Because, by successfully diagnosing a problem and resolving it, you have found out a working way to resolve this particular problem.
Document the steps somewhere . Be it on paper, ipad , diary anywhere which is easily accessible.
Documenting creates a knowledge pool of working solutions for you. It enhances your wisdom. You gradually become a trusted source for expert advice.
Hope you enjoyed this lengthy article about whole life cycle of a problem and the steps that are involved in solving it successfully.
If you found value in it, please share this post with your friends and relatives.
Also, let me know what did you feel about this post by adding comments :-)
Till next time, take care.
May 11, 2012 2 Comments
You know how it is when you are feeling totally listless. You want to get some work done, but you just aren’t feeling motivated at all.
However, if you’re in luck, you’d stumble upon a really inspiring story, more often than not from someone who has proven himself or managed to pick himself up and conquer seemingly impossible feats.
Then you feel inspired. All charged up and ready to take on the world.
But, that doesn’t seem to be enough. You don’t actually get much work done and you are asking yourself, “Why can’t I be as great as them?”
The big problem with inspiration
Inspiration doesn’t last.
It makes people feel totally “hyped up” and motivated at one single point.
We also tend to forget that inspiration is everywhere, and free.
Inspiration doesn’t have to come automatically as if it’s some god-given sign that comes at the “right place and the right time”.
You can, and should always actively seek inspiration.
Don’t wait for it. Go for it.
You aren’t a superhero. You are human, like everyone else who needs to get their batteries charged now and then.
Here’s a little guide to get yourself re-inspired
1) Read up on your heroes repeatedly.
Emphasis on repeatedly. As I mentioned, inspiration doesn’t last.
Put in the effort to read up on the person you are inspired by.
By reading up again and again, you will be able to gain new insights and discover new things you previously missed.
2) Watch YouTube videos of inspiring people
Social media makes it extremely easy today to be inspired. It’s right at your computer, or mobile phone.
Just log on, and type in a few simple keywords. You can easily start with, “Inspiration”, and the results alone would overwhelm you.
It’s that easy. No excuses. Just go.
Then re-watch them whenever you feel like it.
3) Get live inspiration from an event
It’s always easy to read up or watch something really inspiring. However, nothing beats real live inspiration you can both see and feel.
I am break-dancer myself. As much as I love watching YouTube videos of the best dancers in the world, watching local dancers doing their thing in front of me inspires me the most.
Trust me, it’s that different when it comes to learning from books, and learning with your own senses.
And oh guess what? One event isn’t enough though. Keep going for’em!
4) Conduct interviews
It is through interviews where you get gain the most personal insights and knowledge from a single source.
Simply out, doing an interview is like getting free mentoring.
I’ve done a few interviews on my own, and I got to ask the questions I personally want.
How inspiring is that?
5) Talk to elderly folks
It’s a sad fact in life that senior citizens don’t get the respect they deserve. They are ironically cast into a class of their own and supposedly unable to keep up with the times.
But when you do that, you’re actually missing out on the fact that elderly folks are people who lived longer and have seen the times!
They have real-life knowledge for a view on life that can definitely get you thinking.
Be inspired by that, because whatever that’s happening around you now, is thanks to them.
6) Talk to younger people
…Talk to younger people too.
Young people have the energy to be the visionaries that break the rules and achieve things nobody has before.
I’m always surprised to watch young break-dancers improve way faster than the rest of us! That just inspires me to push myself forward!
7) Now, be the inspiration
Emulate your heroes.
Try out something different.
Take the steps on the path others have created.
When you feel it for yourself what actually works for you to achieve greatness in life, the inspiration would be overwhelming, so much so you definitely wouldn’t forget it.
And this is the part, you get to be the inspiration.
So don’t give up, push on and live it.
Just for PlanetNaveen readers
May 10, 2012 11 Comments
- Reduced stress levels : Because you are not thinking about past or future and feeding your mind with worries.
- Better execution of plans : Because your focus is on this moment.
- You become a good listener : A good listener understand things well.
- Your connection with others deepens. You create wonderful relationships.
- Happiness quotient goes up. Byproduct of above benefits.
Remember the quote ” Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called present”.
April 24, 2012 6 Comments
Real integrity is dong the right thing, knowing that nobody is going to know that whether you did it or not
If you want to be a leader, you need to have respect, and if you want to have respect, you need to have integrity. If people can’t count on you to behave in an honorable manner, they are never going to trust you to lead them. In my life, I’ve seen it happen over and over again. The moment people see you behaving without integrity, they lose all faith in you, and everything becomes a power struggle.
Not terribly long ago, I was spacing out when I was spraying weeds on my lawn. Before I knew what was happening, I had also managed to spray my neighbor’s new garden bed, which adjoined my property. There was no one around, and I could have just quietly gone back indoors, but instead I went and explained the situation to my neighbor. She was surprised and of course irritated, but things got a lot better when I offered to replace the new plants she had just put in. When I planted the new plants later that afternoon, she came out and told me how much she appreciated what I had done, and our relationship is better than ever.
Can you imagine what would have happened if I didn’t mention the issue and she found out about it?
More recently, I was at work and realized that my team had made an error on a certain report that was due. The error could have been made by any one of us, but I took responsibility and committed myself to fixing it. To my surprise, several of my teammates, following my example, took on the unpaid overtime to help me fix the report. Leadership allows you to inspire others, especially when they know that you are not going to just pass the buck!
There are several examples in my own life of how integrity has helped me lead others. Leadership is a quality that all people should strive towards, and you will find that in many ways, it is easier than you think it is. Most of us know what is right; it’s just that doing the right thing is inconvenient. In many ways, it is not even hard. If you are willing to go that extra step, people are going to find you worth following.
Last week, at work, I realized that a co-worker had made an error on his work. Without his awareness, the issue was big enough that it could have gotten him fired. Now, this co-worker isn’t someone I knew very well, and he isn’t even in my department, but I knew that he was not exactly at fault. There were a number of problems in our system for what this error had occurred. I stepped in, explained how things had happened and worked towards ensuring it would never happen again. Today, I found out that this co-worker had requested a transfer to my team.
Whether you’re dealing with neighbors of Hampton’s homes or co-workers, if you follow a few simple principles associated with integrity, you’ll be on your path to a more successful life. If you want to be a leader, step in and act with integrity. It is not pleasant, and in many ways, it isn’t convenient at all, but it is always worth it!
About the author: Sam Marquit is a Professional Writer, Publisher & Editor. He writes at fmarquitv.tumblr.com
You can follow him on Twitter here
April 21, 2012 6 Comments
If you Live in the Past, it will Ruin Your Future – Debra Roberts
Most of us rush through the life to reach various destinations, to achieve different goals.
Some goals are set by us, some by parents and some by circumstances.
Goals could be about achieving fantastic grades in exams, turning into super rich over the next 5 years or dream of having a great lifestyle and so on. Goals could be anything.
I am not discussing about goals today.
I am discussing about your life that exists between your goals. In fact , a life that should have been existed between your goals. A life which was never lived.
Yes, I am discussing about your journey of life, not the destination.
Most of the people miss to enjoy their journey of life. They condition themselves to believe that life’s happiness lives in destinations. They hop from one destination to another in search of happiness. They ignore the beauty of process. They underestimate the pleasure of doing. They always live in tomorrows. Once they achieve a goal, they aim for another. Then comes the next one. They create their own belief system that life’s happiness always lives in destinations, achievements, landmarks. Every other day is ordinary for them.
Thinking and planning about tomorrow is not bad thing either. However, what I am concerned is about the life you missed to live today. About the moments which were stolen by your ‘busy’ness. I am concerned about the happiness which got trapped under the burden of pressure of achieving. I am worried about the human element of yours which is slowly succumbing to digitalism and the virtual world.
Have you ever imagined that how many such moments of happiness are trapped under the overweight of your ‘busy’ness?
Those happy and thrilling moments live in the journey of your life and were supposed to experienced, felt and enjoyed.
You lived them either under the pressure of targets, stole the time which was supposed to shared with your loved one for doing something else less important or you were holding yourself back when an opportunity was in front of you.
Basically, you were not living in today.
With this writing, I am inviting you to come back to today. I request you to synchronize your body and mind to now, this moment. Whatever the moment could be happening with you now, I want you to experience it , feel it with a human element. I want you to live in today’s reality. I ask you to emotionally attach yourself to now. This is the life happening to you. Everything else is just a hope.
People often get frustrated because of their life’s happening and lose themselves in trap of regret. They either regret their past or worry about future. The truth is they are trying to escape from today.
They want what others already have. They want to be the first one to upgrade. They want to grow up fast. They want to finish their colleges fast and start earning. They want to become managers fast and grow further fast.
Growth is essence of life. However, I am referring to progressive growth. It is not based on how speed you go. It’s based on which direction you are going. People who achieve tangible results, always focused on today and that automatically plants seeds for better tomorrow. Mediocre people, however look for shortcuts, quick fixes, because they underestimate the smartness of hard work.
People who look for shortcuts either end up with accidents or meet with frustration. Because, they embraced speed on a wrong track.
It all starts at one fundamental aspect. Start enjoying your life’s journey. Be it whatever you are doing.
Where ever you are, be there – Raam dev
Life is not forcing yourself to hop from one destination to other destination. Life is not only about success and money. Life is not about having all the latest gadget when it is launched. Life is also not falling in comparison trap.
Life is wonderful when you respond to various emotional signals in an engaging manner. It’s about being in present. It’s about living with harmony.
Whether it is happy state or painful state, it’s all there for a reason in your life’s journey.
Real magical moments in life are not in destinations, they are in the journey which you take towards your destination. It’s not me who is telling you about this, it’s your own real life evidences. You have already witnessed these .
Ask a person who reached the top of a tallest mountain, what is most exciting part? He will say that the journey was the most thrilling part,not the time when he was on the top of the hill.
Talk to a student who triumphed in the examination. He will talk more about his journey of preparation rather than how he actually wrote the exams.
Musicians practice for years to become notable performers. They learn each day new things. Each day is important for them.
Why people go for skydiving? It’s not all about jumping from a moving plane and reaching earth safely. It’s their quest to experience the never experienced. They seek an opportunity to explore the unexplored emotions.
I don’t say that you don’t setup landmarks or targets for achievements. You must do. However, don’t automate the journey you take for reaching there. If you are in trouble and have difficulty to solve a problem, don’t escape from it or plan a shortcut. Face the problem,attend it, solve it and move on. Let the journey continue. You are still part of the journey.
In the same way, enjoy the small moments of life. Whether it’s first drops of rainfall, an opportunity to mingle with nature while you travel, an engaging conversation with a totally unknown person helping for something, humbly listening to pain of your friend and advising him. The moments are endless.
The thrill, the struggle, the joy, uncertainty, the moments of joy. Journey has everything. There are no destinations in life. Not even death.
As soon as you understand the value of life’s journey, you will feel the real purpose life. Isn’t it what we all are searching for?
March 15, 2012 4 Comments
If you are reading this article, that indicates that you are seeking a personal change in your life. You are looking for a tool which helps you to achieve your dreams. You are searching for ways to bring lasting happiness within you.
You are here. And you are at the right place. Because , I am going to share with you one of the most interesting, life changing book ever.
The monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma.
This is the book you need.
I am sure, you would have heard this book earlier and it might surprise you that I am writing review of a book which was published almost 15 years ago.
I came to know about this book only during last year. I have read this book again and again (at home, trains, planes and various places) and discovered that there is still something new I can learn every time I read this book. It’s amazing.
I am writing this review because I am compelled to write. It’s never too late to share a good read.
This is one of those books which had lasting impact on me.
I feel a great sense of inner satisfaction when I share something useful with others and I am lucky to have a platform (my blog) which helps me to reach as many people as possible.
The monk who sold his Ferrari has been a spiritual teacher to me in many ways.
- Book taught me that living in the moment is a true life lived.
- It made me realize that life need not be perfect, but it needs to be interesting, memorable.
- It revealed a strange truth that physical possessions make our life busy, not necessarily happier.
- It helped me to understand the life better.
- Real happiness lies within, if you realize it.
- It helped me to build willpower and inner strength.
- It helped me to expand my dreams.
- Time is your most precious commodity and its non renewable.
- The power of ancient simplicity.
Summary of the book :
The monk who sold his Ferrari is a story of popular lawyer who sells all his possessions and heads over to India (Himalayas) and never returns to his legal profession. What happens to him and how his visit to Himalayas transforms his life forever is the content of this book . Wonderful stories and narration of interactive discussions makes the book an interesting read. Action points at the end of each chapter summarize important areas which you should be paying attention for.
The monk who sold his Ferrari contains below chapters,
- The wake up call
- The mysterious visitor
- The miraculous transformation of Julion Mantle
- A magical meeting with the sages of sivana
- The spiritual student of the sages
- The wisdom of personal change
- A most extraordinary garden
- Kindling your inner fire
- The ancient art of self leadership
- The power of discipline
- Your most precious commodity
- The ultimate purpose of life
- Timeless secret of lifelong happiness
While reading the book, you will discover ,
How a deathbed question can change your life.
How to simplify your life by applying simple ancient rituals.
How to discover the real purpose of your life.
How to live an extraordinary life.
How to master your mind.
How to get this book : Ask you friend to lend you. Your teacher might already have it. Your boss might have already read it. In any other case, if you want to buy it online immediately, check the below link (Affl). You even have the option of buying an used one or a new one.
If you have already read this book, please share your experiences and learnings in the comment section.
March 1, 2012 2 Comments
No matter what you do or where you live , having a good health is the foundation for living a wonderful life. If you don’t have good health, you will not be able to enjoy anything including the rewards of your own hard work. So, taking care of your health should be an integral part of your daily routine.
People lose their health for earning wealth. Later, they lose all their wealth for regaining their health
Especially, in this modern world where people are getting busier by each passing day, it has become really critical to listen to your body and give attention to your health.
Fortunately, by adopting few really simple healthy habits, you can maintain good health, provided these habits form a part of your daily life routine.
In this article, I am sharing few healthy habits for life which can make profound positive effect on your health and keep you fit and fine. Needless to say, to form any habit, you need to repeat them on a constant basis until your actions turn into habit. I am also tips/tools for forming the habit.
1. Drink right amount of water
This point comes on top for sure. Most of us work and live in air conditioned environment. With less physical movements and because of teh effect of air conditioning, you won’t make feel thirsty even though your body might be craving for water. So , don’t wait until you feel thirsty. Just make sure you drink water in frequent intervals.
Benefits of drinking water:
- Water does wonders. For more details, read this.
How to form this habit:
- Keep a water bottle handy near your desk or workplace and sip water regularly.
- Put up paper notice on your desk’s board reminding you to drink water.
- Set up an alert in your mobile reminding you to drink water every 2 hours.
- Use Microsoft outlook to schedule automatic alert every 2 hours reminding you to sip water periodically.
2. Take a walk
All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking -Friedrich Nietzsche
An easy to miss habit. Thanks to lifts and elevators which are easing your trouble of walking. But in reality, they are snatching away an easy opportunity of walking from you.
Never mind. It’s up to you, how much you use/adopt to technology. Try to walk whenever you get an opportunity. Don’t sit for long time continuously.
- Walking improves your blood circulation.
- It brings flexibility to your body muscles.
How to form this habit:
- Avoid lifts/elevators when possible. Walk.
- Take an evening walk/morning walk.
- Walk with your kid.
- Take a walking break for every 2 hours in your working routine.
- Walk for no reason. They all yield same benefits :-)
Smile increases your face value.
Smile makes you feel good. And you work well when you feel good. Not only that, your feel good factor has indirect soothing effect on your surroundings as well :-) So, smile. Be friendly.
- Soothing effect on your inner self.
- Makes you a better human being.
How to form this habit:
Just smile. That’s all :-)
4. Wake up early
This one seems easy, but little difficult to implement (ask me). But, it has compound benefits. Waking up early can benefit you in multiple ways.
- You can do your creative work in the early morning.
- Reach office early by avoiding traffic. Experience the stress free driving.
- Plan for the day well ahead of time.
- Do exercises/yoga.
- Study. I have always observed that, morning time study was more effective for me.
Time for early waking up varies from person to person , but if you would like to enjoy as much as benefits , then I feel 5am looks good time to wake up.
How to form this habit:
Look at this article which helps you to wake up early.
5. Get enough sleep
This is again a very important. Get 6-8 hours of quality sleep daily.
Benefits of healthy sleep habits:
- Refreshed you,every morning. Ready to face the world with better energy.
- More focus.
- Less fatigue.
How to achieve this habit :
- Set up a deadline for gong to bed.
- Switch off internet/TV early.
- Listen to soothing music before you go to bed. This will allow you to sleep peacefully relieving you from stress.
6. Blink eyes
People who work on computers on daily basis, it’s especially important to take care of your eyes since you are continuously exposed to monitors. Blinking your eyes frequently helps your eyes keep moist and lubricated. Your eyes will be less stressed and you can avoid lots of issues related to eyes like burning or itching etc. Believe me, no eye drop is equivalent to tears. Nature rules.
7. Eat right
Eat at proper time. Don’t let your digestive juices go waste and attack your own stomach. Stick to an eating schedule and adhere to it. Improper food habits and starving often results in digestive issues such as acidity, gas and even more serious health complications. Just eat at proper time. Listen to your body.
Benefits of healthy food habits:
- You will maintain good health and make less trips to doctors.
- Prevention is better than cure. This is so true when it comes to diseases. Healthy food habits makes you real strong and immune to diseases.
8. Reduce stress
Brain cells create ideas. Stress kills brain cells. Stress is not a good idea. -Frederick Saunders
Stress has been a biggest challenge/threat to modern day life. It’s an unpleasant side effect of ‘busy’ ness.
Most of the people face some kind of stress in their work/home/environment. However, what makes a difference is how we respond to stress. Luckily, stress can be managed.
Benefits of reducing stress:
- Reducing stress from your life has amazing effect on your mind, body and on people surrounding you.
- Being stress free makes you a healthier person. When you are healthy and cheerful, you are in a better position to take care of your loved one and respond in positive manner to your surroundings.
- Reducing stress adds years to your life.
How to form this habit:
- Try to minimize debt/loans. This will help you becoming financially stress free.
- Have effective communication in work/life. This will help you to bridge the gap and build healthy relationships
- Wake up early. Become stress free from traffic and chaos.
- Try adopting minimalist lifestyle. This will free you from unnecessary commitments. Be simple. Live simple.
- See the things, as they are. Take things in practical way.
- Never assume. Instead take decisions based on facts and analyzing pattern trends. Decisions taken under emotional circumstances often result in emotional stress.
- Cultivate hobbies and increase your happiness quotient. Life is not all about work. It’s about work/life balance.
I hope, I have shared some practical ways to develop and nourish few really needed healthy habits for the modern day you. Have I missed anything? Please feel free to add in the comments. Let us all benefit :-)
Looking forward to your comments.
Photo credit : evilerin
February 29, 2012 2 Comments
For most people, the worst part of being unemployed isn’t the absence of income. Rather, the most unbearable thing about not having a job is the feeling of worthlessness and purposelessness that quickly builds as the job search draws out.
It’s easy to take the unresponsiveness of an employer as an insult or let your success at obtaining a job define your success or failure as a person. Still, it is important to remain positive, no matter how trying the situation might be.
In addition to changing your perspective of your job search, and keeping you from the dark thoughts that actually work against you, interviewers have reported that how positive a person is has a direct impact on their performance in the interview.
Keeping your head up when everything else seems down is certainly easier said than done, but here are a few ways you can stay positive while you look for work:
You won’t get a paycheck at the end of the day, but volunteering pays you back in more fulfilling ways than a full time job ever could. There is little in the world more satisfying than helping others, and you might find a new passion in a field you never knew you loved. Or, if you volunteer in your field, you will have opportunities to sharpen your skill set, learn new skills and even make useful contacts that could help you get a job. Furthermore, volunteering is a great way to fill the employment gap, and will definitely be a powerful conversation piece during an interview.
2. Explore your hobbies
Often we get sidetracked by our jobs and lose sight of the things we really enjoy doing (unless you are one of the few and far between people who holds a job doing what you really love). While you are between jobs, why not get back into sailing, painting, writing, cooking, carpentry, crafts, or whatever else you might be passionate about? Besides being personally satisfying, you might even find that there is a business opportunity waiting to be discovered in your hobby. Love to play piano? Teach others to play. Make furniture and sell it. Use the time between jobs to rediscover what you love — you might be surprised where it could take you.
3. Start an exercise program
As we get comfortable in our jobs and our lives, fitness is frequently the first thing to go out the window. Make it a point to exercise when you are job-hunting — you’ll find that you’ll feel better about yourself (which is due in part to the endorphins exercise releases) and also start looking better to, which is always a nice confidence and spirit booster.
The “in-between” time is never easy to cope with, but if you apply yourself and keep moving, you might discover a deeper happiness than any job could provide.
About the author : Jemima Lopez is a freelance blogger and writer who writes for Zen College Life, the directory of higher education, distance learning, and best online colleges
Photo credit : Flickr
February 18, 2012 7 Comments
- Admit that you have failed. Make yourself a commitment to reverse those failures. Work on it. Start with below 19 tips.
- Attach yourself with right people.
- Don’t ignore small tasks. Unfinished /delayed small tasks often result in big problems.
- Value time. No one cares your reasons for being late. Especially your boss.
- Don’t underestimate yourself. You are important.
- Do what needs to be done, right now. Procrastination is not just a problem, it can turn into a disease if you make it a habit.
- Cultivate the habit of verifying your work. 5 more minutes of verification can save your hours of re-work.
- Don’t judge anyone by their first impression. Instead, analyze the pattern.
- Be honest. This tip might have been shared a million times, but there is a reason for it. It makes you great person.
- Do smart work rather than hard work. Smart work is not shying away from hard work, but finding the real reasons why you are working so hard and automating/simplifying your hard work.
- Don’t hurry to learn advanced topics. First,make your basics strong. Advanced topics are just extension of basics. If your foundation is weak, you might understand/relate things in a wrong way which is worst than not understanding the things.
- Try not to push yourself too hard for achieving many things at same time. Just focus on one goal and put your quality efforts towards it.
- Make your work environment less distracting. Clean your desk, put headphone, or put an away status in messenger. Do whatever it takes to give yourself a productive hour. A focused hour is much better than a 8 hours of distracted efforts.
- Don’t put hopes on luck, instead have faith in your efforts. Luck is nothing but known outcome for your hard work.
- Negative people are more attractive than positive people, because they speak lots of interesting non-factual things. Best way to deal with negative people is to stay away from them or make yourself immune to their thoughts.
- Always validate your important achievements with your peers. You might surprisingly receive few valuable tips for improvements.
- Be consistent in your efforts. Don’t expect results or appreciations overnight.
- Don’t be a busy man. Instead, have proper work life balance. Being always busy robs your beautiful years from life.
- Stop being a consumer always. Instead, try creating something of your own.
- Personal development blogs won’t change you. They can only inspire you. What brings the real change is your determined action.
Photo credit: aloshbennett
February 11, 2012 6 Comments